Friday, July 1, 2011

Back from Vacation

Sorry, Julie was busy petting me for 3 days
I missed another week and not for lack of trying, I was on vacation! And it was good, I really hadn't seen my family in forever, since Christmas 2009 actually. My nephews are amazing by the way, and the cutest little things on the face of the earth. As I've mentioned before, I get a lot of my love for cooking from my mom and dad, so when I travel, I know I'll be well fed. Chris had to remain behind this time around since we lost his passport in the time between the two trips. I love Montréal!
My mom made me pick wild strawberry, god my back!
My father usually pulls out a nice spread and this time was no different, while he made a neat pulled pork and Italian beef, his wife made a strawberry cake and whipped cream for dessert, which I will gladly give you the recipe for, since I will be making it for the 4th of July party we're throwing this week-end.
We replaced apples with strawberry this time 

Josée's Apple Cake
3-4 apples peeled, cored, cubed, rolled in cinnamon sugar
½ C sugar
2 eggs
¾ C vegetable oil
4 tsp cold water
2 tsp baking powder
1 C flour
1 tsp vanilla

Place the apples at the bottom of an 8inch mold, mix the batter and pour over the fruits. Bake for 40 minutes in an oven at 350F
Om nom
As for the garden I have some lovely pictures from last week but I haven't had gone this week yet, I've been so busy between my vacation and now, so I promise new pictures by Sunday. Tracy gave me the bad news that the basil has gone bitter and birds ate all our carrot seeds!! I think we pruned the basil too much last week, it looks like it's a very capricious herb,  I'm learning new things everytime sometimes goes wrong. I'll find something else to plant instead of carrots , we'll use the space for beets I guess. On a better note, the radishes are nearly ready for picking, I grabbed a few last week because I got excited to see them poking from the ground. They were delicious, I'll grab some for a salad for the 4th.

On ANOTHER good note, my balcony beans are actually making beans! I'm very excited, little yellow waxy beans on the plants and I nothing would come from it in the beginning, I'll celebrate by buying them some fertilizer, I'm flabbergasted that they didn't die while I was in gone.
I hope you have a good week-end! I'll post more recipe as I cook them.
Fluttering by...




No comments:

Post a Comment