Monday, June 13, 2011

Summer cooking


Hellooo anyone out there?
*cricket*
*cricket*
I know I missed a week! Week 3 was hectic but heavy thunderstorms and blistering sun did wonder on the garden, and the weeds. Oh what a mess it was when we returned. We definitely had our work cut out for us. The zucchini are growing wonderfully and the basil is striving, even the spinach, which we thought lost, was blooming beautifully. We can see a few tiny peppers and tomatoes peeking out, I'm very excited! Tracy and I spent a good 4 hours weeding and prepping a few more spots to plant and replant, the cucumbers for example didn't take very well but one of the spot grew three plants, so we replanted those. We decided to stay with one row of potatoes and plant something else next to it.
Popeye the Sailorman, toot toot!
Sweet Banana Peppers
We took a drive at the garden outlet to get some spikes for the hose and found seeds for rainbow carrots, leeks, beets, broccoli, sweet peas and lettuce (we kind of got carried away heheheeeehe). I planted the lettuce all around the tomato plants and the toilet so that the half-shade would protect the leaves while Tracy planted the carrots, the broccoli is in the ground too but the peas will need soaking first. As for the beets and leeks, it'll have to wait a little, we have positively NO MORE SPACE. Haha!
Early Girls are right on time!
I was so excited, I picked a bunch of basil so I could make this super tasty pasta dish, even if we got the basil already grown, I'm still considering it “From my garden”. I had a busy week-end among other things I canned another 10 jars of Strawberry-Rhubarb and most are already spoken for, I don't know if I'll be able to keep any for myself but I officially have a new hobby and I'm loving it. I'll be looking for a pressure cooker soon, keeping my eye opened for sales. My grand-mother makes this canned meat that's to die for, if the end of the world was to happen soon, I could just go to her home and live there forever off of canned meat and pears hhhmmmm!
A long day of work was well worth it.
Marigolds should keep the bugs away
Here's your recipe, enjoy it, it's healthy, low in calories and fat, and great to eat during a hot summer eve. Mostly inspired from Taste of Beirut.

Green Summer Pasta
Add caption
2 large zucchinis
8 oz of greek plain yogurt
4 garlic cloves
12 basil leaves
8 oz of cooked shrimps
1 box of pasta (about 13 oz)

Cook the pasta accordingly.
Cut the zucchini in bite sizes and sautée in a bit of oil with salt and pepper until tender. Put half aside.
In your food processor, place half the zucchini, the yogurt, garlic, basil and pulse until creamy.
Mix sauce and pasta together, top with shrimps and diced zucchini, enjoy!

Delicious and garlicky, serve with a chilled white wine. Enjoy!
 
Have a good week!
~Hungry Julie

2 comments:

  1. Love your garden it looks awesome and the pasta looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The garden is a lot of work but it's definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete