Sunday, June 5, 2011

The garden - week 2


So here we go for a second week, this post was supposed to be up last Tuesday but my computer crashed and I lost everything I wrote and I got bum hurt about retyping. Anyhow, here it is.

The garden is looking good, I was taking picture on Memorial day while my friends and their kids were splashing around in the pool, the day started out rather cloudy and gray put it was very around 11am the sun came out and it was warm very quickly. We're having a weird weather patch, rain rain rain thunderstorm and tornado in the north of the state but it looks like to be calming down with a steady sun. I love summer!

Green beans
Chris and I have began to do our weekly trip to Four Town Farm, there's nothing greater than grabbing everything you feel like and worry about what to cook with it once you get back home. This way we discovered quite a few new vegetables, the girls at the market are great too, giving us tricks and recipes to try. This year I'm determinate to try patty squash and pawpaws, so far it's looking rather good. On top of the garden, we're going to have a ...full plate! 
Soon these will be delicious
Speaking of garden, here's the update, there's green! Cucumber, radishes and beans are slowly sprouting, but on the other hand, the spinach are looking a bit sad but we weren't sure they would catch because they came looking like this. The eggplant leaves bear marks of bugs, I'm not too sure what we'll do for that, a vinegar mixture or dish soap, we'll figure it out. Next week I'll dig a trench for the other row of potatoes, I'm not sure if they'll catch but we'll see. 
 
I think I stepped on the radishes when we planted them 
My balcony garden is looking good too, all four beans plant made roots and it steadily growing, I planted some mint too because Chris likes to chew on it like a bunny. 

Zucchinis!
I have a ton of rhubarb in the fridge, the girl at the farm warned me that the season was a short one, so I bought four bags, teehee! I made a pie, which was so very tasty, the shame of it all is that strawberry are never in season at the same time as rhubarb so all I had were Floridian berries, good nuff! The result is a sweet and slightly sour pie, goes great warm with some vanilla ice cream, skip the whipped cream. Enjoy!

Foggy lens, damn hot pie!
Awesome Pie ~ Rhubarb Strawberry

1c of sugar
3 ½ c of rhubarb, washed and chopped
2 tbsp of corn starch
2 pints of washed and quartered strawberries
1 tsp vanilla
2 pie crust
egg wash (1 egg whisked with a splash of water and a pinch of salt)

Oven at 400F
In a sauce pan, bring the sugar, rhubarb and cornstarch to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in the strawberries and vanilla. Mix well.
Pour in the crust and place the top on, or with a lattice like I did.
Brush with the egg wash and bake for 35 minutes.

As easy as that. I hope you enjoy. I have an awesome curry recipe to share with you guys, it'll have to wait for Monday because the fish market is closed today. Stay tuned!

Hungry Julie.

No comments:

Post a Comment