Monday, June 6, 2011

Experiment #4352


Today, I canned!
Ta-daa
Following the information from Canning USA, and their motto, “If I can, so can you!” I managed to come up with a tasty recipe for Rhubarb and Strawberry Jam, helped by Ball's low/no sugar jam pectin. And I have to say, it's damn tasty! I'm not going to turn this blog into a canning-appalooza because food preserving is down to a science and I would rather leave it to people with more experience, whom I hope to rival someday. But I nonetheless wanted to tell you guys about it.

Look a these delicious things, while I'm typing this, the 5 jars are now resting for a period of 12 hours, untouched and undisturbed. The recipe made just under 6 jars and so the last one was put in the fridge and poked at with a spoon over the past few hours. Om nom nom! I would suggest anyone who is curious to head over to their website, Granny Miller has an excellent blog and video about it as well, which gave me the bug for home canning, I just love reading her blog and dreaming of my own little house in the prairie or Anne of Green Gables *sigh*.  

Brianna's makes the best dressing, hmm!
Beer from Maine, Cadillac Mountain Stour
This said, Chris and I are now, on a diet (sad Julie). With summer here and us looking like Godzilla and Bride of Michelin Man, it's time to stop being fussy and eat our vegetables. No more Stop and Shop bullshit, I can't believe how fast a head of lettuce can go bad, overnight! Four Town Farm vegetables last weeks in my fridge. We made like bunnies and these delicious salads were super pleasing, even Chris helped, poor things goes on a hunger strike when he wants to lose weight, not this time buddy!
"Why must you take pictures of me while I eat!" ~Chris

 

Let me share with you a pseudo diet recipe, it's actually a very healthy and light summer food, great at a BBQ because you can put them on the grill or in the oven.



Julie's light chimichangas

1 ½ chicken breasts, cut in strips
1 jar of salsa (regular, no fruits)
1 ¾ C of Mexican blend cheese, shredded
1 tbsp chili powder
1 green bell pepper, chopped roughly
8 medium whole wheat wraps

Prepare a pot of boiling water and put in your chicken, let it simmer gently for a good 15 minutes and pull a piece out and cut into it, there must be no pink inside. Slice up all the chicken in small titbits, use forks to shred it if wanted.

Set the oven to 350F

In a large bowl, mix the chicken, the salsa, cheese, bell pepper and spices.
Fill your wraps, not too full or they wont close properly, fold the top/bottom then the side like you would a burrito.
Place on a cookie sheet and put in the warmed oven for 20 minutes, if you have extra cheese you can toss it on top to bake.

To turn this into a low carb option, use a flax wrap, St-Joseph offers a 3 net carb version that works wonders in this case.

Each wrap is about 300 calories and 10gr of fat, you can add extra vegetables for more volume and make extra wraps, try adding corn, spinach, jalapeno. If there's one thing I wont do is use low fat cheese, it doesn't melt and tastes terrible. I hope you'll enjoy!

There is no making this looking stylish, go flower power!

-Hungry Julie

1 comment:

  1. Both canning and cooking a delicious meal-I need some of that energy. Love the light version of the Chimichangas-buzzed it.

    ReplyDelete