Thursday, May 26, 2011

The meat of king

Giant Pork Loin

“Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!”
- Anne Tyler

My butcher has a sense of humor, so I say, 4 lbs pork loin, he says, this one's over 5, is it ok? And my husband nods like a moron, so I say, OK, FINE! But deep down, I know. Firstly I can't sear the damn thing, I don't have a pan big enough for it, second of all, I have to use my roasting pan because it won't fit in my dutch oven, and lastly, I have to find a big enough bowl to marinate the beast. What a pain in the... anyway.

We eat a lot of pork, it's not red meat and it's not chicken, we just eat so much freaking chicken all the time. Pork loin, pork chops, bacon, ham, the meat of king, and it's made of pig. Who else to ask for. 

Here's a delicious recipe, inspired from my boss's own.
Tasty local honey!
Marinade
5 lbs pork loin
1 C honey
½ C olive oil
¼ C soy sauce (Tamari if you have it)
¼ C of sesame seeds
1 orange, sliced
6 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
1 ½ inch of ginger, minced
1 tsp Chinese five-spices

First you want to roast the sesame seeds, heat a small frying pan to medium heat and toss your seeds in, NEVER stop looking at it, stir the seeds with a wooden spoon, when they begin to turn color, take the pan off the heat and keep stirring, the residual heat should keep cooking them. When they turn a nice brown color, they are ready.

Mix all your liquid and spices together and rub all over the loin, along with the sesame seeds and the slices of orange. Marinate for at least two hours in the fridge. Remove the loin from the fridge while your oven is heating so it begins to go back to room temperature.
Tasty raw meat, hmm
Turn the oven to 450F, since we can't sear it for lack of giant frying pan, we'll oven sear it. Bake for 10 minutes then turn the heat down to 300F, if you are (and you SHOULD BE) using a probe thermometer, the target temperature for a medium rare roast is 145F. I recommend using one, or an instant read, otherwise it's just guess work. It should take about an hour to cook but it could take longer, depending on the roast and the oven. 

145F for medium rare, om nom nom

I hope you enjoy it.
Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment