Sunday, February 20, 2011

Like a Groundhog...

I'm not a winter person, not one bit. I kept looking at the blog and thinking, pah! But after a few months, people started to ask me about it. It felt good on the ego, so I decided to revisit it. My camera is currently at the repair shop, my friend Matt is playing Operation with it as a tiny piece of memory card broke off into the slot. Just my luck, but it should be fine. *keep fingers crossed*.

But!

I did cook some fantastic things over the winter time and took photos, Chris got me the Jamie Oliver food revolution book and it's a trove of delicious treasures. My only comment about it is that the book addresses people who have never or do very little cooking but the recipes are far from being simple. If you're not well versed in the "art", I'd suggest hounding Kraft's website or sites like Epicurious, All Recipes and Taste from Home. But none the less, my new favorite book.

I created a Facebook Fan page for some of the cooking I've done over the winter, much easier than writing an entire blog, the page is here Cooking with Julie on Facebook But I now promise to keep updating the blog as often as possible but I will likely update the page as well, Like it!

So today, I will share this recipe, it is also on my Facebook page but I can't resist. It was very delicious and it's a Mardi Gras tasty treat, enjoy. Chris is a huge fan of Magic Hat beer, we visit their brewery in Burlington, VT, every year when we travel to Quebec to see my family.

Magic Hat #9 Chicken Etouffée

Plan at least 2 hours to make.

Ingredients 

2 tsp salt
½ tsp white pepper
4 lbs of bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
3 tbsp oil
8 tbsp unsalted butter
¾ C flour
2 C of chopped yellow onions
1 C chopped celery
1 C of chopped green bell pepper
4 cloves of garlic crushed and minced
2 bay leaves
1 tsp of dried thyme
1 bottle (12 oz) of Magic Hat #9
4 cups of chicken broth
2 tsp of brown sugar
¼ C of hot sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • Rub the chicken with the salt and pepper.
  • Heat the oil in a large heavy stew pot over medium-high heat and brown the thighs on both side. Work in batches if needed. Remove from the pot and set aside in a plate.
  • Melt the butter in the pot and add the flour, whisking continually until the mixture (roux) turns chocolate milk color. It'll take about 12 minutes so keep whisking (Go team!)
  • Add the onions, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves and thyme and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring every now and then. Add the beer and stir well.
  • Add the chicken and the rest of the ingredients save for 1 cup of broth.
  • Bring to a boil, turn the heat down and partially cover the pot. Simmer for 75minutes.
  • Remove the chicken bits and separate the meat from the bone, return the meat to the pot and skim for pieces of bones. Add the remaining cup of broth and simmer for another 30 minutes.
Note: If the stew isn't very thick by the end, you can add a bit of extra flour, but never do so directly, whisk two tablespoons of flour with the cup of broth until it forms a slurry. You never want flour bits floating in the stew.

Etouffée is French for “chocked”, basically smothered in delicious sauce, is the base of all things that are stews. 

I hope you enjoy and have a wonderful Mardi Gras celebration.
Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment