Monday, November 22, 2010

Can you smell what Fall is cooking?

BEHOLD! NEW KITTEN:

Ghostie already owns the place 

Aah! Fall is nearly already over, it makes me sad. What makes it worst is that now that I've been spoiled by farmer's markets, I have to go back to the dreaded Stop and Shop for the winter. I can't wait for next season, I'll be growing a garden with my aunt as well. I've decided to try my hand at canning, Granny Miller got me hooked. **sigh** Until then we'll survive on soup, heavy stew and roast, what a pity. I even HAD to buy a turkey, at $10 it would be a crime to pass it. That bird will feed us for at least a week, roasted, pot pie, stock for soup and many many leftovers recipes to try. ( Suddenly my complaint isn't one anymore )

Last week, Hubby and I got to eat at our Vegan friends' house again. I get picked on each time I say where we're eating but, you know, open mind and all. The menu was amazing! Vegan artichoke and spinach dip, pumpkin soup and apple reubens. For dessert I made Vanilla Garlic's ginger cranberry bars, replacing the butter with margarine. Next time I'll crush some candied ginger to sprinkle on top, om nom nom. Now that was a delicious evening.

I've been mobilized to make Tyler Florence's banana pumpkin meringue pie, hoping the title isn't the ONLY mouthful. I'm a little suspicious but because I haven't made meringue since culinary college... It'll be fine! I'll definitely be documenting THAT one so stay tuned. I've already bought the pumpkin to roast and I'll get the bananas today, can't have green bananas now.

Last night's concert was SHREDDING, Blind Guardian is just one of those groups that brings tears to my eyes while shaking my hair all around. So I made a quiche in it's honor ( who needs a better reason, I freaking love quiche), Quiche is just one amazing throw-everything-in-the-fridge recipe, make it unhealthy, healthy, vegetarian or meatwad, It's your choice.

Today we have: Julie's healthy quiche (lol)

1 pie shell (frozen or homemade, your choice, make the right one!)

4 eggs beaten to an inch of their life
1/4 C of milk
salt n pepper
a dash or two or three of hot sauce (Frank's)
2 shallots, sliced or diced
a knob of butter
a few sprigs of thyme
1 sliced tomato
a few handful of shredded mozzarella
a good dash of Parmesan

Line a pie plate with the pastry dough, fork and bake for 10 minutes at 350F Meanwhile, take the shallots and cook them on medium heat in the butter with the thyme, sprinkle with a bit of salt, until soft and golden. (If you have a bit of sausage like chourico or kielbasa warm it up here) Mix your eggs with the milks, salt n pepper, hot sauce Once the pie shell is slightly baked, line it with the shallots (and the sausage) pour the eggs on top and arrange your tomato sliced in a pretty way. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Proceed with the om nom nom.

The forking of the pie shell 
To Delicious Quiche

Stay Tuned for the Banana Pumpkin Monstrosity! Adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment