Saturday, September 18, 2010

Autumn, how I love thee.

Here comes my favorite season of all. Cool weather, sweater and long pants, warm food and sweet sweet Halloween. To celebrate the beginning of the season, I decided to catch a cold -_- . Oh Well, when life hands you germs, make.. lemonade..? -Ahrem- I made a delicious leek and potato soup after sleeping all morning, after all I had to get up since Mr. Maamine kept purring in my ear.

Photobucket 
Here I woke him up in revenge.
I like buying food. I don't have many vices or obsessions, I don't buy shoes or clothes to wear them once, heck, I own 4 pair of pants. I don't mean to be bitching but life needs to cost less because I want to go apple picking this week-end. Rawr! I haven't gone grocery shopping in two week!  I can't stand it anymore and with all my effort to clean out the cabinets, we have NOTHING (I lie) left. I'll be raiding the farm tomorrow.

On to the cooking. I came up with a really good tip too for those without an immersion blender. Keep reading! I have been dying to make potato and leek soup, it's my favorite. No better time for me to make it. Pop Quiz ! Can you tell which leeks come from Stop n Shop, and which come from Four Town Farms?

Photobucket 
Did you say the big ones? ERRRR, nope! The tiny weeny ones are fresh from the farm, but it would have made a miserable soup, so I added some from the store.


Julie's sick soup Leeks and Potatoes with bacon and croutons!

5 leeks, white and pale green parts, finely sliced
15 oz potatoes, peeled and diced
6C of chicken or vegetable broth
5T butter
Salt, pepper

Melt your butter in a big soup pot, saute the leeks on medium-high heat for 5 minutes, add the salt here, it helps tenderize the leeks. Turn the heat down to low and cook for a good 20 minutes, stirring randomly. Add the potatoes and the broth and simmer for 30 minutes, until the potatoes are super tender. Pepper, then pass everything in the blender or use an immersion one. You can add a dollop of yogurt or cream to each bowl for a tangy taste, some bacon and a few croutons.


I was hoping using purple potatoes would turn my soup purple.Photobucket 
 HUGE disappointment, but they are so pretty anyway!

Photobucket

Homemade Croutons

Baguette
Butter
Garlic

This is super simple, slice your bread about 1/2 thick. Melt your butter in a medium hot pan, add the sliced garlic and place the bread around the pan, toast for a few minutes on each side, et voila! You can salt too if you want to add them to a salad but these are perfect for the soup.

Photobucket
Enjoy!

For my Super Awesome Trick. A long time ago, my mother made cream of spinach (my second super favorite soup) and the vision of boiling soup flying to the ceiling is well stamped in my mind. Remove the stopper from the blender cover and place a towel between the cover and the glass bowl. The steam will spray out through the fabric without the soup flying everywhere and hurting someone. Ta-daaa!

Photobucket

Pray I get to the orchard tomorrow, maybe I'll be making a cran-apple crisp. OM NOM NOM

No comments:

Post a Comment