Sunday, August 8, 2010

Zucchini and Lobsters







Greetings again from the word of Julie.

As you may know, I happen to be a huge fan of seafood, but I hate cooking with it. It smells bad, it attracts flies and the cats will try everything they can to raid the trash can, too it costs a fortune to buy fresh fish. Thankfully, one of the only perks of living in New England, is the access to fresh seafood. Our favorite restaurant happens to be the Red Parrot in Newport, which is relatively close. Last time we were there, I had a seafood and strawberry salad and the hubby, who is a huge fan of seafood stuffing, had baked haddock with stuffing. The price is up there but you don't get this degree of freshness everywhere.

We recently took a trip up to Maine for a change of landscape, and happened to meet up with my dad and his lovely wife for a short time on the beach. I've learned to appreciate her and my dad a lot more since I've been living here. Distance makes the heart long for the people we love I guess. I need my own beach, I can't stand the million people and their children blocking my view of the ocean, aside from that, it was a nice trip. We ended up at the Lobster Cove, York. Cheap lobsters, delicious corn and pie, amazing staff and a splendid view. A great pearl in the middle of a sea of tourist traps.

Rawwrr!











That's it for the Lobster part of this post, now on to the Zucchini.


It happens that when I was a child, I was extremely picky with vegetables. Aka: I ate nothing beyond raw carrots and celery, mashed potatoes was the only thing I would eat cooked. My mother would find ways around it by putting minestrone soup in the blender and mashing cooked carrots in our potaters, and, making zucchini chocolate bread. I never *freaked* out like my brother did when we discovered the secret of the moist bread but I never came around to making any myself until recently. I must have made some sometimes ago but it sucked because hubby mentioned that he didn't like it as I was getting ready to this try new recipe. But I digress.. ahrem ... I FREAKING LOVE ZUCCHINI BREAD. Here's the recipe I modified from Martha Steward and I hope you enjoy it as a wonderful base to your own fantasy:

For one Loaf of awesome Zucchini Bread

1 3/4 C flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 C sugar
1/2 C vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 C finely grated Zucchini (one small-medium should be enough, peel it first and use the medium grade hole on your grater, the big one makes gross and tiny makes a mush)

* the last ingredient is left up to you, what DO you want in your bread? Today I made two loaves, one Cranberry and the other Chocolate Chips, you want to put about 1/2 cup at least of whatever else you want. It could be blueberries or bananas or sour cherries etc...

Pre-heat oven at 375F, don't forget to grease your loaf pans NOW, later you will forget. In a bow, mix your flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon together.

In your blender (or by hand, hell!) Whisk together your eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla till well mixed, then add the zucchini. Mix in the flour mixture, don't over mix or the bread will be hard.

Using a spatula, fold in your fruits or chocolate (or whatever) gently.
Pour the batter in the pan and bake around 45 mins, till a toothpick comes out clean.

It makes about 12 muffins if you prefer, bake only 25 mins in that case.

Ta-daaaa!


Have a good week ya'll !
-Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment