Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fooding Around

Greetings,
So I've been reading around to find ways to make this blog more interesting and honestly I've come to a conclusion, most people out there are trying to change the meaning of Blogging. Isn't it supposed to be personal thoughts, feelings and experiences? "Don't be narcissist or be interesting only to you and your cat" ... Oh really? If only 2 people are interested in what I have to say, so be it. My cats love me!

I'm going to look into participating in Bloggers activities and challenges. It'll be fun, as long as it fits in my budget. In our current financial state, which isn't BAD but we're not rolling in the dough. My goal is to spend less than a hundred dollars a week while eating good stuff everyday. Speaking of which, we made out like bandits last weeks by buying everything we needed from Four Town Farm and Armando's meat markets. I intend on making Pho Soup sunday so I bought an ox tail, $15 later and a grossed out Hubby, I figure half of it will go toward the soup and I'll make beef stock and freeze it for fall and winter.

The good folk in Four Town Farm were giggling at us, going through the store like kids in a candy shop (Yes me, in a veggie store), I was ready to cough out $50 and t my surprise, it came to $28 after we bough local pepper, radish, corn, baby eggplant, peaches, flowers, plums, broccoli, celery, cucumbers, zucchini and lettuce. Next week we'll be doing the same and I'll take a picture of the whole thing, it was a sight. My fridge is now filled with stuff. Speaking of which, I'd like for someone to invent fruits and vegetable bags that don't need to be thrown away each time but don't add weight to the scale. I'll find a solution, I can't stand those bags.

Tonight after work I wanted to make a quick side to go with this amazing Lime-Coconut chicken recipe from One Perfect Bite. I feel a little intimidated by other bloggers with tons of followers but I've no qualms with giving them publicity. The only change I made to that chicken was the chili powder and the chili, I added a teaspoon of chili paste instead.

Julie's fresh Pesto Pasta Salad

Roughly 3/4 of a box of pasta, your choice
3 tbsp of basil pesto (Pastene in my case)
Roughly 2 cups and a half of chopped vegetables, I used carrots, cucumbers, celery and broccoli.
A handful of Feta Cheese
A handful of Parmesan cheese

Do you really need directions with that?

Boil pasta, cool, add veggies, cheese and pesto, mix well.

Notice the lack of tomatoes, I didn't have anymore and this kind of recipe is perfect to use what you have in the fridge. The directions are very rough because I wasn't planning to post it but it turned out so freaking good, adjust as you like it. Pesto is just one of those things that tastes delicious warm or cold.





Here's a little secret of mine, I hate raw tomatoes... I know, tragic.

Adieu for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment