Monday, July 26, 2010

Working the camera


July 26, I kind of hate this time of the year. We're half-way to Christmas and summer is half-way over. Nothing fun in sight. Halloween cheers me up because of candies and we're close to Christmas.. Oops, timer on the muffins just went off, brb.

...

Back! Perfect muffins. Is there something more fulfilling in life than a recipe turning out right? Maybe there's more to it, but as long as you live your life in the best way possible, why worry? I realize that my older posts were very angry and frustrated. That's not me. I've always been a storm in a bottle but sweet and gentle Julie is often hidden by frustrations. Job, life, money, hubby. I've been trying to focus on fun stuff more recently. I made rice pudding last night for the first time and It came out perfectly, in the mist of a fight with hubby, it was pretty nice when we made up to have something sweet with it.

We'll try and head over to the Four Town Farm next week, I didn't realize it was open on Sundays. Hubby always complains how much money I spend at the grocery store but I never see him complain of the food I make. To be fair, fresh vegetables costs a LOT more than frozen chicken nuggets. I've been pretty good about that, we haven't bought anything frozen or processed in a long time. Fresh meat and vegetables, fruits. It's so unfair that there's no coupons for THOSE.

I mentioned on Facebook about making my grocery list for the week. So here's this week's menu:

The Noshery, Chicken Lemon Ricotta Pasta


Almost Bourdain, Butter Chicken

Tiffin Tales, Lemon-Thyme Grilled Fish with Arugula and Cucumbers

The Sweet Life, Grilled Pork Chops with Nectarine Salsa

I'll make a quiche as well with the leftover bacon and summer squash I have from last week. Perfect for lunches and random starvation.

Julie's Awesome Quiche, Bacon and Zucchini

Crust:

1 cup oats
2/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup cold water

Pulse the oats, flour, butter in the food processor until the butter isn't recognizable. Dissolve the salt in the water and add to the processor. Pulse until it forms a ball. Spray your baking dish with non-stick spray and push the dough against the bottom and sides with your fingers. This crust doesn't require to be rolled out but you can if you want. I prefer the prior way.

Line with foil and bake at 325F for 20 minutes, turn the heat at 350F and remove the foil, bake for another 10 minutes then remove.

Filling

1 Zucchini, sliced 1/8"
Handful of fresh Parmesan
Bacon (I'm using half a pound, but feel free to use as much/as little as you want)
4 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded mozzarella
salt n pepper to taste

1- Brown your bacon and drain, pat dry in paper towels. (Keep the filtered bacon fat in the fridge to use for your egg cooking needs instead of oil. yum)

2- Cut the bacon in chunks of your taste and place at the bottom of the crust.
Whisk you eggs, milk, salt n pepper. Pour over the bacon. Spread the cheese over the eggs.

3- Brush LIGHTLY he zucchini slices with olive oil (I'll get a spritzer for that)Then be creative, spread the zucchini slices over the cheese in a pretty pattern and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Salt and pepper again if you so wish.

4- Stick that quiche in the oven at 350F for 30 minutes



With leftovers, Quiche is my favorite lunch option, you can literally throw anything in there, any vegetables or meat, or neither. It's just yummy and filling. I make a ham and asparagus version that is simply OM NOM NOM.




Now then, to the muffins.


Julie's Banana Coconut Muffins


2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
4 TB butter, softened
2 large eggs
4 large banana, mashed
1/4 C plain yogurt
3 TB milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut + 2 TB extra

Preheat oven to 350F.

1- Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together and set aside.
2- In the mixer,beat butter and sugar until blended. Add eggs and beat to combine. Add banana, sour cream or yogurt, milk, and vanilla.
3- Beat until blended. Add flour mixture and coconut, beat at a low speed until just combine.

Pour into your muffin tins, this recipe should make 16-18 muffins depending how much you fill them. Whatever you do to them is up to you, stick a few chocolate chips in there or a squirt of peanut butter (That's what I did). A squirt of jelly would be yummy too.

Either way, bake these puppies at 350F for 20-22 minutes or until a knife or skewer inserted in center comes out clean. When done, remove pan from oven. Let cool, or eat them burning hot like I do.



Of course my spacecase Landlord caught me taking pictures on the balcony, he stood there starring at me with my bunch of bananas and muffins for a minute before asking wtf I was doing. ^_^






Enjoy your week and remember to stop and pet the puppies.

-Hungry Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment