Monday, April 26, 2010

This should be my second post

I couldn't write this before. I wasn't just there yet. I started a blog once, twice, three time and each time I deleted it. Not ready. But today I feel *it*. What *it* is.. I'm not sure but I sure know that I've never felt this way before. I feel good, I feel great but there's always a part of me yelling and screaming in my head, HUNGRY, EAT!

To put you in context, I should describe my life a little.. My name is Julie and I'm obese. At my highest point I weighted 315 lbs. I was always a very active person until I moved to the USA and then suddenly I found myself without many friends and a deep depression came over me. So over the next 8 years, I nearly ate myself to death, gaining over a hundred pounds simply by settling in a way of life I wasn't used to.

Being fat never stopped me from doing anything before, camping trips, hiking and canoe were part of my summers and now sitting at my computer is my only hobby. Oh and cooking. Boy do I cook, and bake, and eat, eat, eat.

I recently started watching the Jamie Oliver's food revolution and I saw myself in those people, those kids. I recall the junk I ate growing up because my mom had no idea what to make us. I have a vivid memory of my pediatrician telling her that I was 16 lbs overweight, I was about 7 years old. And it went downhill from there.

The gift of cooking is a gift and a curse all at once. I cook delicious and greasy and fattening foods, cakes and cookies and dessert of all kind. My friends hail me for my talents but deep down my love handles remind me that sometimes I wish I only knew how to toss a salad.

So here it is, my very own food revolution. My personal and difficult path. Hey no one said it was easy. This isn't a big screen TV where everything goes well, I fall, I get back up.

Here's My Revolution :

"I will choose the healthy option, I will cook all of my meals and prepare my options in advance to never get caught off guard. I will not let in to peer pressure to make the wrong choice. I will not let myself say Fuck It and shove it down my mouth. I will eat delicious food in moderation because I must remain human above all. This is my life, not a diet plan."

How's that?
I leave you with tonight's menu
-Julie, the hungry girl
____________________________________

Carrot slaw:A take on this recipe

12oz shredded carrots
1 apple, cut in thin julienne
1/4 red onion diced finely
4 tsp of light creamy caesar dressing
a handful of raisins
a squirt of lemon juice
salt, pepper, a pinch of celery salt


Before cutting your onion too small, soak it in cold water to kill the bitterness. Pat dry.
Mix everything together and keep in the fridge so the flavors soak in.



From Annie's eats: Stuffed Zucchini Boats

Ingredients:
1 zucchini, about 12 inches long (or 2 6-inch)
2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
½ cup onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup mushrooms, chopped
1 lb. turkey sausage or ground turkey
2 tbsp. dry white wine
2-3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
3 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
1 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper

Directions:
Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out insides, leaving a shell about ¼-inch thick. Reserve about half of the insides.

In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté the onion and garlic until tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and reserved zucchini insides to the skillet and sauté another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Heat the remaining tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble in the sausage or ground turkey and cook until lightly browned on all sides, stirring occasionally. Stir in the cooked onion and mushroom mixture. Add the wine to the pan along with the tomatoes, basil and rosemary. Cook for 1 more minute. Drain of any excess fat, remove from heat and set aside to cool.

Preheat the oven to 375° F. Once the turkey mixture has cooled a bit, mix in the Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper. Fill the zucchini shells with the mixture. Fill a baking dish with ¼-inch of water. Place the filled zucchini shells in the pan and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, until golden brown. Remove the zucchini from the pan and serve immediately.

Source: adapted from Simply Recipes




Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment